Thursday, May 8, 2008

Corporate Ballerina

So, much to my dismay I have joined my company's softball team. Needless to say anyone who knows me knows I am not really an athlete. I can't run more than 10 ft. without huffing and puffing.

Anyway, I show up at the game yesterday not at all displaying my usual nervousness. I really wasn't nervous. So we all are assigned our positions. To my horror I am the catcher. I freeze picturing a mask, squatting behind the hitter, finger gestures, chewing tobacco... I can't remember all that.

Luckily this is softball and not the MLB.

I just have to stand there and try and scoop up the ball when it come near me. I can do this. As we are warming up I decide to head to the outfield because I have spent the entire warm up session at my assigned position, catcher. I head to the outfield and stand there. I watch the guys make some nice catches.

SO...fast forward to the start of the game. One of the guys on our team is a no show. That leaves us one player short, that means positions are being changed, that means...I am no longer catcher. Suddenly all the self-assurance I had felt in my position was deflated.

Now I hear "Michele, you are in right field".

I am like OK. "Where is right field?"

We are up first. My team goes through the entire roster, until the last player, me. Dale is the last out right before me. Great I get to not only suffer through being in the outfield, waiting to be impaled by a gigantic yellow ball falling at light speed from the sky. Then, I get to be the first up to bat when it is our turn next. (Now would be a great time to mention that during warm up, I only hit 1 out of say 30 pitches)


I get up to bat and smack I hit the ball. I am so surprised I forget to run. My whole team is like run ...run. I actually make a run. I mean score a run.


I honestly did not do too bad. Of my 5 at bats I only struck out once. I did find myself acting totally ditsy at various points in the game.

For instance I swing, I miss, I apologize. Sorry.

I swing, I miss, I twirl around in a circle, 5yr old ballerina style.

I run to catch the ball, I miss, I trip I hit the ground hard, I roll. I grunt.

No matter what JS says...



Being a corporate ballerina is a lot of hard work.