Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Good Will Gone Bad

So this afternoon while at work my boss and I decided to get cookies for the office...spread some afternoon cheer, plus I needed something to dunk in my Skinny Mocha Latte I was about to order from my local lifeline.

Being the goodwill ambassador in my office I agree to run to the local market and pick up some cookies. I go in select a few packages of choice cookies and decide to be on my way. I pay for my purchases and innocently head to my car. I climb in and happily start my Element and prepare for Mocha bliss...

Then out of the corner of my eye I see her. Before I can even stop myself I hear my voice calling out the window..."Carrie"?

I had recognized her from behind...

I knew that one day this was going to happen.

It is a small town and we both work in it. Last time I had seen her she had flat out told me I needed to leave and that she hoped to never see me again.

My therapist.

I had not seen her in almost a year, before my brother's diagnosis, before the job, before school (again)...there has been so much that has happened in the past year that I have not told her.

She gives me an odd look before recognition sets in. She comes over and starts to make small talk...what are you doing now? You never left... How are you? Where are you living?

I am trying my best to mumble the answers to the questions she is asking when all I want to do is cry. It is amazing to me that just the very sight of the woman can bring me to tears. Man if I had run into her last week I don't think I could have held my shit together.

After exchanging the usual pleasantries she asks if she will see me again. I say yes, I will call.
A strange relationship one can have with their therapist.

Then she asks do you have insurance? I say yes. I will call you soon.

As I pull away and head to my Mocha yumminess, I can not help but wonder...how much is she going to charge my insurance for that parking lot session.